Product Design Engineer
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, preferably BSME, or
- Bachelor’s degree in industrial design.
- Three or more years’ experience developing consumer products, preferably in a manufacturing environment.
- Ability to work with mechanical and electrical hand tools and to use standard measuring devices.
- Experience in Project Management and associated Project Management tools.
- Experience designing and/or manufacturing injection molded plastics a plus.
The Wooster Brush Company was established in 1851 and is one of the oldest manufacturers of paint applicators in the USA. The Wooster Brush Company produces more than 2,000 high quality and innovative products to support the growing professional and DIY painter’s market. The Product Design Engineer will work closely with the Sales and Marketing team to develop new and innovative products that are designed to meet the needs of both professional and DIY painters. The Product Design Engineer will be responsible for leading new product development projects from conceptual design through release into production. Key areas of focus will include: 3D designs, testing, prototyping, and project management. This individual will be required to work across multiple functions (Operations, Manufacturing Engineering, Purchasing, Sales, and Marketing) to ensure the successful launch of new products.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Own product development lifecycle phase starting with product concepts through entry into market.
- Support manufacturing with any in-service issues or design changes to improve manufacturability.
- Create new product concepts independently or with input from Sales and Marketing.
- Develop conceptual drawings/sketches of new product ideas for discussion with Sales and Marketing.
- Convert conceptual drawings into completed 3D CAD Models and 2D CAD drawings.
- Utilize Additive Manufacturing (aka 3D printing or rapid prototyping) equipment to produce functional and aesthetic prototypes.
- Develop project schedule to support successful implementation of new products.
- Work with maintenance and machine shop personnel to create mock-ups of new product ideas.
- Design prototype molds to be built in house or at external vendor.
- Perform product testing and field testing of peer products.
- Work with cross-functional team to develop supporting documentation to be used for vendor quoting and selection.
- Assist Manufacturing Engineering with development of assembly equipment and fixtures.
- Submit Capital Appropriation Requests for project approval.
- Review and approve drawings submitted by vendors.
- Complete required documentation for product introduction.
This position does not have any supervisory responsibilities.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works in outside weather conditions. The employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts and is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, risk of electrical shock, and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work is performed mostly in office settings. Hand-eye coordination is necessary to operate drafting instruments, computers and various pieces of office equipment.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; and smell.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move objects up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Low to Moderate travel can be expected for this position. Some travel could be overnight and/or international.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Job Type: Full-time
As recommended by the Ohio Department of Health and CDC guidelines, in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, face coverings are optional for entering our buildings.
- Demonstrate ability to work as an individual contributor or as part of a cross functional, multidiscipline team.
- Good communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and Microsoft Project.
- Working knowledge of PC based 3D CAD systems (preferably Siemens NX or SolidEdge or similar), previous experience with Siemens Team Center (or similar PLM software) a plus.