Industrial Design Engineer
- Bachelor’s degree in Industrial Design.
- Three (3) or more years’ experience developing consumer products, preferably in a manufacturing environment.
- Ability to work with mechanical and electrical hand tools and to use standard measuring devices.
- Experience in Project Management and associated Project Management tools.
- Experience designing and/or manufacturing injection molded plastics a plus.
The Wooster Brush Company was established in 1851 and is one of the oldest manufacturers of paint applicators in the USA. The Wooster Brush Company produces more than 2,000 high quality and innovative products to support the growing professional and DIY painter’s market. The Industrial Designer is part of the Product Development team and will work closely with the Sales and Marketing team to develop new and innovative products that are designed to meet the needs of both professional and DIY painters. The Industrial Designer will be responsible for supporting new product development projects from conceptual design through release into production. Key areas of focus will include: conceptual drawings, 3D designs, prototyping, documentation development, and project management. This individual will be required to work across multiple functions (Operations, Manufacturing Engineering, Purchasing, Sales, and Marketing) to ensure the successful launch of new products.)
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Artistically develop new products from concept through release into production.
- Incorporate features into a design based on how a particular product might be used, and who will use it.
- Understand and apply future trends in brand, design, technology, and materials.
- Create new product concepts independently or with input from Sales and Marketing.
- Partner with engineering to evaluate product concepts to confirm design feasibility and manufacturability.
- Develop conceptual drawings/sketches of new product ideas.
- Convert conceptual drawings into completed 3D CAD Models and 2D CAD drawings.
- Review design proposals in a phase-gate process to obtain cross-functional consensus.
- Utilize Additive Manufacturing (aka 3D printing or rapid prototyping) equipment to produce functional and aesthetic prototypes.
- Work with in-house machine shop personnel to create mock-ups of new product ideas.
- Support manufacturing with design changes to improve manufacturability.
- Work with cross-functional team to develop supporting documentation to be used for vendor quoting and selection.
- Complete required documentation for new product introduction.
This position does not have any supervisory responsibilities.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works in outside weather conditions. The employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts and is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, risk of electrical shock, and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work is performed mostly in office settings. Hand-eye coordination is necessary to operate drafting instruments, computers and various pieces of office equipment.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; and smell.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move objects up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Low to Moderate travel can be expected for this position. Some travel could be overnight and/or international.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Job Type: Full-time
As recommended by the Ohio Department of Health and CDC guidelines, in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, face coverings are optional for entering our buildings.
- Demonstrated ability to work as an individual contributor or as part of a cross functional, multidiscipline team.
- Good communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite and Microsoft Project.
- Proficient in 3D CAD systems (preferably Siemens NX or SolidEdge or similar),
- Working knowledge of configuration management software. Experience with Siemens Team Center a plus.